Men (and Women)

Last week, I was talking to my daughter Chenelle and she was telling me about life in "The Dollhouse". I guess I should explain. "The Dollhouse" is a large, yellow two story rental home that Chenelle shares with three (or is it four?) other girls. The young ladies are all twenty-something, and as crone-mother to one of the residents, I'm often amused by the stories of their various adventures. That's my reward for becoming a crone, FYI. I get to listen and smile as these young women struggle through their angst-ridden life lessons, grateful that I'm no longer going through all that. One must enjoy the scarce alms of seniority.

"Mom, you know what I've noticed about living with other women?" That was Chenelle's lead-in to the conversation. My response: "Mmhmm?" That's all a crone-mother has to do, by the way. Occasionally acknowledge that you hear the young person talking, and let her wear herself out.

Anyway, Chenelle said, "All we ever talk about is how all guys seem to be no good." I nearly burst out laughing, but I kept it inside. Chenelle doesn't take too kindly to my amusement when she is being sincerely serious. I've raised her, and knowing every nuance of her emotional ebbs and flows, I have no desire to provoke her red-faced, octave-skipping wails of "you NEVER understand me!" (Why is it that twenty-somethings seem to often speak in absolutes? Did I do that once upon a time?) So I asked her, "Why is that? Isn't there anything else you-all can talk about besides men?" "No." She was frowning, seeming to try to recall conversations with her roommates that didn't involve the opposite sex. "I don't know what to say anymore because I'm not hung up on anyone right now." Secretly, I breathed a sigh of relief. Her last relationship involved her wanting to pack up and follow a wanna-be guru back to his hometown somewhere in the backwoods of Illinois. Again, I kept my silence and just listened.

She described how her roommates seem to always fall for guys who treat them quite badly, or ignore them all together. It all sounded way too familiar. It's western society's dysfunctional rite-of-passage, I suppose. We really don't have any clear instructions on how to find a mate, so we flounder about like the salmon desperately fighting to make it to their spawning waters. Few of the salmon make it alive. Sometimes I think the same about humans. We might be physically alive, but far too many of us are quite emotionally and spiritually wounded by the struggle. The wounding also seems to last for a lifetime, which makes the possibility of ever finding a functional relationship (I'm too practical to say "perfect") seem too remote.

I wanted to offer my daughter some sage advice, but the wisest thing I could do is remain silent. I don't want her to learn from my jaundiced point of view. My last relationship was a pathologically bad marriage to her father, and it ended over twenty years ago. In the intervening years, I've had no opportunity to model a loving relationship for my children because I was busily rectifying my past relationship mistakes by establishing a loving relationship with myself. The process has taken an abysmally long time, and the years slipped by like mercury. Now, I feel a certain amount of regret that I have nothing more than the absence of a relationship to show as a prototype. It's difficult to work from zero, but it's considerably better than the destructive model that I had before.

There is help from a Higher Source available, but like many young people, my daughters question the practical relevance of "organized" religion (as opposed to unorganized?) to daily life. That's something that I have to accept. In the process of healing myself from dysfunctional relationships, I forgot about sharing the Writings of Baha'u'llah with my children. Sure, I read the Writings and said prayers. But did I do the same with my kids? No, in fact, there was a period inactivity that lasted ten years. I can't help but think that they would benefit greatly from the guidance contained in the words of Baha'u'llah, the Ba'b, and Abdu'l Baha'. Especially these words:

Among the majority of the people marriage consists of physical relationship and this union and relationship is temporary for at the end physical separation is destined and ordained. But the marriage of the people of Baha must consist of both physical and spiritual relationship for both of them are intoxicated with the wine of one cup, are attracted by one Peerless Countenance, are quickened with one Life and are illumined with one Light. This is the spiritual relationship and everlasting union. Likewise in the physical world they are bound together with strong and unbreakable ties.

When relationship, union and concord exist between the two from a physical and spiritual standpoint, that is the real union, therefore everlasting. But if the union is merely from the physical point of view, unquestionably it is temporal and at the end separation is inevitable.

(Compilations, Baha'i World Faith, p. 372)

This quote is only drop in the ocean of Endless Wisdom concerning a loving relationship between a man and a woman, which, as you might gather, means marriage in the Baha'i Faith. I used to shudder at the mere mention of the word, based on my own very negative experience. But while that reaction is understandable, it is also illogical. If I created a negative experience out of ignorance, it stands to reason that I can create, with the help of the Almighty, a positive experience. This is a piece of information that I never passed on to my daughters during their formative years. They only heard my lamentations about the dearth of good men (regrettably, I said those words like so many other women), and the soul-slaying imprisonment that signifies of the institution of modern marriage. Those words have come back to haunt me as my daughters echo them almost verbatim.

At this point, all I can do is pray that knowledge, wisdom and guidance from the Concourse on High leads my daughters to happier relationships than the ones their mother had.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post, full of lovely touches and humor! I have a daughter, soon to be 30, married and with a child of her own now. But I do recall the angst-laden teens and early 20s. My wife and I worked on the basis of keeping the channels of communication open, even at the most stressful times. I don't think we could always share the wisdom of Baha'u'llah and 'Abdu'l-Baha, but our daughter served a period at the Baha'i World Centre and that was wonderfully healing for her, although not all plain sailing.
Pearl said…
What a gorgeous-wild post on a gorgeous-wild page by an obviously gorgeous-wild woman. I will be visiting again.

I'm 27 and feel like I'm somewhere between you and your daughter: awake to the possibility of something saner than the all-consuming lust and instant gratification alot of my friends are striving for, but still no idea how the alternative will taste in reality. Lots of unlearning to do. I figure I still have plenty of time up my sleeve, but my womb whispers differently sometimes, the big liar.

Re: your parenting, please be a little gentler with yourself. You may not have drummed the Writings into your kids or had a Mr brady in the picture but it sounds like you've been a power of exammple of functional singledom. That in itself is huge. Plus your listening skills sound exemplary. I wish my own mamma would take a leaf. And since I'm criticising her, maybe I should take one too. Or a branch even. Hmmm. Olives.

Thanks Angel.
Anonymous said…
Quite a ways off topic, but I'm seizing the opportunity to ask a real Bahai woman about an issue that prevented me from joining the faith myself (when I was looking into it some years ago). And that is the deal with the highest council being proscribed for male membership only. How do you deal with that? Is it an issue for you? Were you born into this faith?

Thank you.
Liz Dwyer said…
Angela,
You make me wish I had little girls so that I could have the same sort of conversations and listening experiences with my future daughters. I guess my role though is to make sure I have boys that are worthy of strong women. I think it's a confusing time for single folks and not everyone has a parent who will be a good listener but also speak the truth. It's not too late to tell your daughters the things you wished you had. I wish my mom had talked to me more about relationships before I got married because I would have loved to hear her perspective and I sometimes felt like there was a distance between us because she wouldn't share her experiences. Anyway, I am sure
Ms Angela said…
Barney: It's not easy, is it? But well worth the journey. My oldest daughter, who calls herself a social-economic-feminist-radical who doesn't believe there's a "big dude up there runnin' things", is on any day status with the birth of my first grandchild. She's starting to mellow out a bit, now that she's bringing a son into the world. But we have had our rounds, especially when she hit puberty. Whew! That was not fun!

My youngest daughter did a few months of service at Bosch Baha'i School in Santa Cruz, CA. Unfortunately, her experience wasn't as pleasant as your daughter's was. She declared a few years ago, but she has a lot of questions that in her mind, the Baha'i Faith doesn't answer. I'm sure I'm not the only parent dealing with this. But I let it go. The one tenet of the Faith that I did manage to emphasize was "Independent investigation of the truth." And that's what they are doing. They have to make their own way in the world, no matter what their mother thinks or believes. Oh, well.
Ms Angela said…
Pearl,

You made me laugh out loud! I don't remember if my womb ever whispered to me, other than to say, "Ouch! Pain! Advil, quick!" No, that wasn't a whisper. It was more like a nightmarish scream! Luckily, I'm surgically removed from that conversation!

Thanks for reminding me to be gentler with myself. I forget that, a lot. Actually, my listening skills come and go. There's this...constant presence of noise that kids love to make, and I've learned to tune out a lot of it. They used to get my attention with a lot high pitched shrieking and blood dripping every where. That did it every time. :)

Thanks for posting on my blog, Pearl!
Ms Angela said…
Mr. Follymacher,

Please forgive me in advice, but you left the door wide open for a bit of existential humor. Am I real? Let me see...(Angela bits her left hand, hard.) Ow. Well, that hurt. If those teeth marks are any indication, I guess I'm real enough! :) Sorry. I'm a Aries with a Gemini moon. Translation: I have a penchant for bad jokes.

I am a woman, evidenced by the fact that I gave birth to three children, two daughters and a son. Now we come to the part that makes me pause and reflect. I am a Bahai. What does that mean? For me, it means that God has never once abandoned mankind, no matter people choose to believe. He has sent Holy Messengers to uplift and educate humanity, starting with Adam (the Adamic cycle includes Abraham, Moses, Buddha, Krishna, Jesus Christ, Muhammed, and the Messengers for our times, the Bah and Baha'u'llah.

As for the rest of your questions, actually, I can't do them justice on the comments page. I will have to post another blog so I can hopefully explain about the Universal House of Justice, which is part of the World Centre in Haifa, Israel. Let me get my thoughts together, and I'll post it tomorrow. Thank you for your questions, and I apologize for the irreverent commentary. Please check back with me; I promise I will answer your questions to the best of my ability.
Ms Angela said…
Liz,

You are a sweetheart! I have one son, and I consider him to be the balance of male energy in our little family. The girls had a tendency to take simple discussions into the realm of high hysteria, while my son would simply a make a quiet observation that made a lot of sense. Or he would roar (Leo), which would cause his sisters to stop fighting each other and turn on him. There wasn't a dull moment in my house, ever.

For me, the best thing about having a son is a) my shoes, makeup, and accessories never disappeared into his room; b) he took out the garbage and other dirty jobs around the house; c) he liked to watch the same kinds of cartoons I did on Saturday mornings, like "X-Men" or "Batman", and best of all, d) he went to wrestling matches with me and allowed me to put in him into a headlock afterwards. I'm a tomboy who never really grew up.

Enjoy your boys, Liz! Girls are wonderful, but boys can be a lot of fun, too!

Popular posts from this blog

Deep breaths. This is only part of your life. Part 3

My former English professor and mentor

About Love (Love Actually)