The Revolution You Do Not Want Will Start in the Middle

Dear Friend,
Voting rights are under attack across the nation, and I want you to help protect them!
When the Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act last year, it got rid of a powerful tool to end discrimination at polling places.  States and localities across the country are now enacting and implementing anti-voter rules that will keep many Americans' voices from being heard.
I'm asking Congress to stand up for every voter and fix the VRA -- will you join me?
Thanks!

Don't believe it? Need more proof? Well, here ya' go!




Well, I know that's about all people can take in at one time. And I'm leaving the commentary out because I have some other things I need to write about. But right now, this issue feels very urgent. People, you had better understand something pretty soon. W.B. Yeats said it best in one of my favorite poems, "The Second Coming".  

 Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Where is the "centre" in the United States of America?  This is my opinion, but it's Missouri. The revolution you do not want will probably start in the middle.

African Americans lining up to vote in 1965 after the Voting Rights Act was passed: 
This picture is part of the America's Black Holocaust Museum collection. To see this historical photograph and more, click on this link: America's Black Holocaust Museum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep breaths. This is only part of your life. Part 3

My former English professor and mentor

About Love (Love Actually)