"Sometimes, y'all make my BEHIND hurt!"

The title of this particular blog has a source, and that is my beloved mother, Mary Ellen Graham Shortt. Mom was born and raised in Leesburg, Florida, although technically she lived even farther out into the central Florida wilderness in a place called Wildwood. (Which is so difficult for a "burb" baby like me to understand; Leesburg wasn't exactly a huge city like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, or even Sacramento). Just reading that fact should be justifiable cause for raised eyebrows. I used to think that she had a natural talent for malpropisms, but that wasn't it, either. She spoke Wildwood, which, in my opinion, is a very unique Florida accent that was peppered with all kinds of confusing terms like "Y'all make my behind hurt!" Go ahead. Try to make sense of it. I grew up hearing stuff like that, and I remain unconvinced that there is a logical way to explain what it means.

And this brings me to the point of this particular entry. I'm on Twitter quite a bit, in fact, I joined the social media site back in 2007. I don't remember the exact date, but just remembering that it's been ten years is enough for me. Anyway, there's an ongoing conversation about healthcare on Twitter these days, and more specifically, how the "repeal and replace" Republican version of the Affordable Care Act, aka "Obamacare". People have been working on my first AND very LEAST nerve talking about the ACA, which is not to be confused with the self help groups called ACA, or Adult Children of Alcoholics. (Stay with me folks; I'm getting there.) Personally, I think the arguments about "Obamacare" have more to do with certain folks vehement dislike of @POTUS44 than the ACA itself, which you can read about here, here and here.

In my opinion, some, but not all, arguments regarding the Affordable Care Act IS because of racial hatred. As Lorainne Hansberry said in her play, "A Raisin in the Sun" through her character Ruth Younger, "Well, being a colored woman, I guess, I can't help myself none." I can relate to the sentiment expressed in Ms. Hansberry's play, but the words "colored" or "Negro" are disturbing to me, to put it very mildly. I came of age during the "Say It Loud; I'm Black and I'm PROUD" era.

So, back to my original point (it's my blog and I write as I want to, even if I happily use circular exposition and non-tradional sentence construction), I've compiled an easily accessible list of online articles concerning Obamacare and the Grand Old Party (GOP). And did you know James Brown was a Republican? Ain't that something? 😁 All right, here's the list. Y'all startin' to make my behind hurt!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/21/us/health-care-amendments.html?_r=0 

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/columnists/2017/01/21/obamacare-republican-idea/96832966/

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/08/republicans-supported-obamacare-gingrich-dole-individual-mandate/ 

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/07/the-real-story-of-obamacares-birth/397742/ 

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/03/25/obama-drops-truth-bomb-gop-the-affordable-care-act-plan-adopted-it.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep breaths. This is only part of your life. Part 3

My former English professor and mentor

Emotional Incest